Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Handmade Farmhouse Kitchen Island


Many moons ago, I tried my hand at making a piece of furniture... a kitchen island, for my miniature farmhouse kitchen. It turned out 'ok', but wasn't square, and the more I looked at it, the less I like it. So I put it away and ordered a new island. However, my girls still preferred my crooked little rookie creation. Reluctantly, I pulled it back out recently and worked on it a bit more. I was able to level it up, put a new top on it, and repaint it red for a whole new look. I think I really like it now!

I've mentioned before that this island design was based on my own kitchen island which is made of old house parts, including a tin-ceiling front. :)

{I made a little toolbox for the tools... still have to paint it!)



I wanted the new 'old' island top to look as if it were made of old barnwood... this look was achieved by wiping on and off a little burnt umber and white acrylic paint and then sanding....






I think the little handmade island will be a charming addition to our little house and I'm so glad my girls persuaded me to give it a second chance!

Until next time!

16 comments:

  1. I love it! So many great details...especially the tin and the barn wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This island is superb! I don't know how you could have thought otherwise. It is stunning. I can't believe you made this all by yourself. Wow!
    hugs,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ficou lindo e as ferramentas estão perfitas.

    maniatura-carla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it!!! This island came out so incredible and looks "vintage". I love the tin ceiling part on the side!!! It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is wonderful....and even more so for a first attempt. You have a knack for this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone! It took me a while to get started and to find time for this wonderful new hobby, but now it seems like the more I do, the more I *need* to do...it's becoming addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the kitchen island! I think it is perfect. Could you make me one? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!! Love the work,amazing details!!! Miniregards from sunny Spain,Sonia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your kitchen island very much. Sometimes al it needs is a little more work...
    Miniature greetings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim,

    For some reason I didn't get notice when you posted on this blog back in June. My comment may be late but the sentiment is not. You are the most creative and inspiring person I know. The miniature duplicate of your beautiful kitchen island is precious. Perhaps you should consider adding miniatures to your shop!

    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm your newest follower and I'd love to invite you to come and visit and follow me. I love your minis... thanks for sharing. xoso Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is exquisite. I wish I had a big one just like it in my kitchen. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. An important functions of your kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to perform related tasks including dishwashing.descaling light still on after descaling keurig

    ReplyDelete